This past Wednesday we went as a whole school to a place called Countryside Adventures, an amazing place with a 3 km skating trail through the woods. We went there to launch our spring project that will focus on Psalm 8.
“Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory in the heavens.”
Our purpose for going was two-fold. We went to play and we went to stand in awe of our creator God.
We wanted to echo the question of the psalmist: “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?”
Before we went we gathered together in a community circle and thought about what our play would look like.
And we also thought about what our moments of awe would look like.
And on Wednesday, February 27, 2019, with the temperature well below zero, we boarded the bus and headed out for a day of play and awe. It was amazing!!
We took a little pause in our play and awe to gather together as a community and sing praises to our God.
Take a look at this video to get a sense of what our day was like.
We returned with rosy cheeks and ready for a nap 🙂
The next day we took some time to reflect on our time and consider how we played and how we stood in awe.
Here are some of what the students said:
- I liked when I went skating through the trails. I was in awe when I saw a fallen tree.
- I liked it when we went sledding. I was in awe when I saw the animals.
- I liked going skating! I felt awe when I stopped and saw trees!
- I liked it when I was snowshoeing with my friend. I was in awe when I saw all of the trees that God made.
- I felt awe when I saw a woodpecker. I liked skating.
- I felt awe when I saw the animals. I like skating and sledding and I liked playing with my friends.
- I liked skating. I felt awe when I saw God’s beautiful creation.
- I went around the snowshoeing path one time. Sometime I would stop and look around. One time when I saw a tree that looked like it had been attacked by a woodpecker recently, because there were wood chips on the snow.
- I skated around it 8 times (24 km). I was skating and saw a squirrel jump out of nowhere. God has made us fingers so that we can build stuff like that ice path.
What an amazing way to launch our spring projects!
Save the date of May 2 and 3 for our Celebration of Learning. You are invited to come and experience Psalm 8 with us. “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?”
How amazing to consider that God, the creator of all, is thinking about you right now!